What Sage 50 VAT tax code should I use for toll charges?

VAT can be a complex topic and what VAT codes to use in Sage 50 Accounts can be confusing. If you’re not sure what VAT tax code to use in Sage 50 for the toll charge expenses your business incurs, you’re in the right place as we train and support users of Sage 50!

Here we explain exactly what VAT codes to use in Sage 50 for the different toll charge costs.

Firstly, it’s worth mentioning that some toll charges attract VAT and some don’t. 

You can refer to the HMRC guidance here (last updated at the time of publishing this blog was 1st April 2021).

Essentially tolls are either operated by a public authority or are privately operated. Understanding or knowing who the toll in question is operated by will determine what tax code to use in Sage 50 Accounts.

Use this table to help you:

* Assuming you have a VAT receipt to substantiate your VAT reclaim or can satisfy HMRC of the claim.

You can find a handy list of UK tolls here which show you where they are and how much it will cost to use them.

For more help and guidance on tax codes in Sage, why not download our free guides:

  1. Sage Tax Codes Guide 
  2. Post-Brexit Tax Code Guide

For tips and advice why not join our Facebook support groups?


Any advice relating to accounts or tax should be sought from your tax accountant. Sage Accounts Solutions Limited will not be held responsible for any loss or damage caused as a result of the information contained herein

Share this...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.